Sunday 10 October 2010

Gothic and Gorey




So I'm still feeling full of the gothic and macabre as I continue making Halloween goodies, which makes me want to talk like Vincent Price and quote Edgar Allan Poe. Whilst looking for something relevant to listen to, I remembered a video I watched at the Tim Burton exhibition at MoMA when we went to NYC in January- and was surprised when Google yielded the information almost immediately...


... Recognise the voice? Plus listen out for the Edgar Allan Poe references! I couldn't believe it! I suppose in the back of my mind I must have remembered and that's how I'd made the connection. Still, it was almost as exciting as the time I opened a bag of M&M's and they were all the same colour...

Unfortunately the only photo I was allowed to take at the exhibition was this one


All of this put me in mind of Edward Gorey- I love his alphabet, or 'The Gashlycrumb Tinies' as it's better known. My favourite being 'K', obviously.

His drawings are just beautiful and manage to combine a simple elegance with a lovely attention to detail. Dry, gothic humour has never looked so good.


Another video I found was this one (music by Ceri Frost)


Which sums it up nicely as it seems to be a kind of Burton-Gorey hybrid. The animation is by Giles Timms, not too sure if I like the song though so maybe watch with the volume down. But then that still leaves me in need of something to listen to...

No comments:

Post a Comment